Cooling Center in Wicomico County to Open TODAY TUESDAY, July 3, 2018
A cooling center will be opened at the Wicomico County Civic Center (DaNang Room) on TUESDAY, July 3, 2018 from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. The Civic Center is located at 500 Glen Avenue Salisbury, MD 21804. Residents will need to bring their own food, beverages, and medications. No pets are permitted. Anyone needing transportation to the Civic Center should call Shore Transit at 443-260-2300 (select “dispatch” option).
The MAC Inc., Senior Center will also be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. as a cooling center for residents ages 55 and over. MAC is located at 909 Progress Circle, Salisbury, MD 21804.
Infants, young children, young athletes, obese persons, those older than 65 years of age, and those persons with diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease or a mental illness are at increased risk for a heat related illness. A heat-related illness can become life-threatening very quickly. The Wicomico County Health Department urges everyone to practice these stay cool safety tips:
• Seek air-conditioned environments such as malls, libraries and public places. Stay indoors.
• Take a cool bath or shower.
• Minimize direct exposure to the sun, if you must be outdoors, seek shade.
• Stay hydrated – regularly drink water or other nonalcoholic fluids.
• Eat light, cool, easy-to-digest foods such as fruit or salads.
• Limit using the stove or oven to keep the house cooler.
• Check on others; co-workers, the elderly, and those living alone.
• Wear loose fitting, light-colored clothes.
• Bring pets indoors. If they must remain outside make sure they have shade and plenty of clean, fresh water.
For additional information about cooling centers in Wicomico County, call 211. For more information on heat and summer safety, visit the Wicomico County Health Department website at www.wicomicohealth.org and follow @WicomicoHealth on Facebook and Twitter for regular updates.
# # # #
Tammy L. Griffin, MCHES
Director of Planning and Population Health
Wicomico Behavioral Health Authority
Prevention and Health Communications
Wicomico County Health Department
108 East Main Street
Salisbury, MD 21801