Wicomico County History
From the Maryland Gen Web Project:
Wicomico County, whose name comes from Native American words meaning “place where houses are built”, is shown bordered in yellow on the circa-1840 map at right. Wicomico was part of “Old Somerset”, which once encompassed the entire lower Eastern Shore area of Maryland and was settled as early as the 1660s. The original boundaries of Somerset County, shown in green, were split in 1742, when Worcester County was formed, and again in 1867 with the formation of Wicomico County from parts of Somerset and Worcester. By 1750, the dispute over the southern boundary of Delaware was finally over, and Lord Baltimore lost the Sussex County area to William Penn. Another close neighbor is Dorchester County, Maryland.
Today, Wicomico County is an area of contrasts. The bustling big city atmosphere of the county seat, Salisbury, stands in sharp relief to tranquil, sleepy farming areas like Tyaskin, quiet country villages such as Powellville, quaint fishing towns like Nanticoke, and seemingly untouched, “lost in time” villages such as Whitehaven, where you can still ride a ferry that has been in operation for almost 300 years across the Wicomico River.